When I started this blog after much procrastination, I emailed all my friends and invited them to post recipes in the website so that all of us could have a sneak preview of all the dishes cooked in everyone’s kitchen :-)).My only condition was that each recipe should be accompanied by a great photograph. Today I received my first response, from our friends Shankar and Gayathri. Shankar is one of the rare breed of Indian men who actually likes cooking and spends time in the kitchen concocting new recipes. When I was a novice to cooking and needed help with a recipe or wanted a handy, simple recipe, I used to call him and he would alway rise up to the occasion and dredge up a dish from his inexhausitible supply. Of course the end result was always wonderful for me!. Last year he got married and his better half is also as innovative and interested in cooking as him. In other words two die hard foodies came together!:-))…It was a match made in heaven!! She even shares his dream of opening a restaurant some time in the future. Good luck to both of them on that. I am sure whenever it happens it is going to be a roaring success.
Anyway the advantage for my blog was that not only is Gayathri a great cook but she also clicks great photographs. So yesterday she sent me this fantastic recipe for the Strawberry cheese cake with this fabulous photograph. she had made it for their house warming party last week. Thanks Gayathri for sharing this yummy recipe!
Here goes the recipe.
This recipe is for 10-12 persons.
- 40 lady fingers, crumbled in the food processor
- 1/4cup butter, melted + 1tsp to grease the pan
- 8oz Philadelphia softened cheese cream
- 8oz Sour Cream
- 1/4cup whipping cream (liquid)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4cup + 2 1/2 Tbs sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbs all purpose flour
- 1 lemon zest
- frozen strawberries (let them sit at room temperature for a few hours before serving)
1. Mix the butter and the crumbled lady fingers together. Grease an 8 inch spring pan with the remaining tsp of butter and cover the base with the crumbled biscuits+butter. Tap it with a flat surface to make it level. Keep it in the fridge.
2. Separate the white from the yolk. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Keep aside.
3. Beat the egg yolks and the sugar together. Beat the cheese cream in the food processor till you have a very smooth consistency. Add it to the yolks+sugar. Pour in the sour cream,the whipping cream and mix well with a hand mixer. Now add the flour and the lemon zest, stir well. Add gently the stiff peaks to the mixture.
4. Preheat your oven at 335 F. Fill the spring pan with the preparation. Lift the pan and drop it on the table a couple of time to release any trapped air. Put it in the oven and bake for 1h15mn.
5. When done, switch off your oven, run a knife around the edges of the cake and leave it inside the oven for another 30min (door open). This will prevent the cheesecake from forming a dimple in the middle. Now let it cool down to room temperature and refrigerate for 4hrs minimum!
6. Serve the cheesecake topped with strawberries. Enjoy!